Life is continually offering up challenges in a variety of ways. We have a chose as to how we respond. We can choose to remain on auto-pilot and be at the mercy of whatever is attracted our way or we can consciously make an effort to lighten up and brighten our paths.
10 Ways to Lighten up:
1. Smile. The very act of smiling activates neurotransmitters in our brain that boosts our mood and relaxes the body. It is also contagious and a very attractive feature.
2. Be grateful. A daily inventory of our blessings put challenges in perspective and creates a feeling of well-being and happiness.
3. De-clutter. Get rid of stuff that doesn't serve a purpose anymore. Create more open space in life for positive energy to flow.
4. Move. Find ways to move throughout the day. Movement is a natural form of caffeine.
5. Eat healthier. Listen to the stomach not the head. Is a moment of pleasure worth hours of heartburn?
6. Commune with nature. The rhythm of nature in the form of water, trees and wildlife is a natural anti-depressant with only beneficial side-affects.
7. Get creative. Find what creates excitement and passion within and do it. It becomes a natural high.
8. Don't take it personally. People are caught up in their own issues and drama and sometimes we are simply in the line of fire. We need to step back, wish them well and focus on maintaining our own sense of peace.
9. Exercise self-compassion. We are human, we make mistakes, we experience failure and despite all good intentions we sometimes react out of fear. Life is not about judgement, right or wrong or striving to be perfect. Life is about re-discovering who we are and deciding who we want to be and how we want to act when life presents itself to us. There is no room for regrets, guilt or shame. They are all wasted forms of energy. We must continue to love ourselves, learn about ourselves and consciously choose how we want to show up in this life - blemishes and all.
10. Be silly, have child-like fun and laugh. Young children are great teachers when it comes to enjoying life. They live in the moment, are not afraid to look foolish and they easily tap into the wonder of imagination. This type of play strengthens the immune system, increases the joy factor and melts away the stresses of the day.
Life takes on more meaning, more joy, more sense of wonder and adventure when we consciously choose to lighten up.