Yes I confess I am a dog lover and I do enjoy the occasional dressing of the dog but only to signify an upcoming special holiday - Easter, Christmas, Valentine's, Hallowe'en etc.. Is this something I should worry about? The dog study did say that cat owner's were more intelligent - mind you I have seen some better weird cat fashions. Maybe intelligence has nothing to do with it.
I think (unofficially) the top 10 reasons that we are drawn to dress our pets are:
1. Bad case of empty nest syndrome that needs to be filled
2. Not enough Barbie or GI Joe time when young
3. The internet is down
4. Easier to get them into no pet allowed places
5. To see how what they will do for food
6. To see if they can be any cuter than they already are
7. No one should be stuck with the same coat all the time
8. Forgot they have 4 legs and not 2 - they seem too human at times
9. The kids won't wear it and its brand new, non-returnable
10. They are our companions that show us unconditional love - wanting to please us and not judging us for our quirks or strange display of affection.
I know that Cesar Milan would stage a special intervention if he knew about my strange ritual with my miniature Schnauzer, Mojo but I think Mojo and I have a mutual understanding or compromise.
Moderation in everything. The occasional dress up/photo shoot I thnk is okay. But even I have my limits - I draw the line at matching outfits.